Vegan Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
When I was a kid, I was a very picky eater, but my family knew they could get me to eat if they made Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches with spicy Italian sausage. My vegan version still makes my heart sing and I think you’ll love it too.
Makes 2-3 sandwiches
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ red onion, thin half-moon slices
- Sea salt
- Crushed red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 each roasted red and yellow peppers, sliced in ribbons
- 2-3 vegan sausage, links cut in half lengthwise
- Small handful broccoli rabe, cut into bite size pieces Whole grain rolls
Step By Step Instructions:
Place a small amount of olive oil, garlic and onions in a deep skillet over medium heat. When the onions begin to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and generous pinch red pepper flakes and cook, stirring until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in peppers and vegan sausage. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have all blended and the sausage is warmed through. Season to taste with salt and stir in broccoli rabe. Cover and simmer until the rabe is just wilted and still bright green.
To serve, mound the filling into the wedges of the whole grain rolls and serve hot.
Cook’s Tip: You might need to add a wee bit of water as the sausage and peppers simmer to avoid sticking. It will depend on how much juice is released by the veggies.