Tuscan Mashed Chickpeas
I love this recipe. It’s packed with protein and is so easy to make and serve…as a side dish or on toasted bread. It leaves me dreaming of lazy Tuscan summer days. Thanks to the Barefoot Contessa for the inspiration for this recipe.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas
- ½ cup spring or filtered water
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, smashed, minced
- Sea salt
- Generous pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 4-5 sprigs fresh flatleaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Juice of ¼ fresh lemon
Step By Step Instructions:
Place chickpeas and water in a food processor and pulse to create a coarse mashed texture.
Place oil and cherry tomatoes in a deep skillet over medium heat. When the tomatoes begin to sizzle, add garlic, a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and simmer for 3-4 minutes, just until heated through. Stir in miso until it melts. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
Serve as a side dish or on toasted bread.