The key to a good reuben is the thousand island dressing, in my view anyway. A traditional reuben is loaded with meat and cheese, but it’s really the oozy dressing we love so much . . . in this vegan version, you’ll whip up a creamy dressing in no time with none of the stuff in the bottled versions that you might not want.
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup natural ketchup, (no sugar or artificial additives)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Generous pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons natural sweet pickle relish
- Avocado oil
- 8-ounce tempeh block, sliced in half and then in half thicknesses, making 4 pieces
- 4 slices whole grain rye bread
- 2 slices vegan Swiss cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons natural sauerkraut
Step By Step Instructions:
Make the dressing, adjusting seasonings to your taste. Set aside.
Place oil in a skillet to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay tempeh slices in the oil over medium heat and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. In the same skillet, lay the bread slices with the cheese on 2 of them. Allow the cheese to melt as the bread toasts.
Remove the bread from the skillet and spread with dressing. Place 2 pieces of tempeh on top of the cheese. Spoon sauerkraut on top of the tempeh. Lay bread with melted cheese on top to close the sandwich. Slice diagonally and serve hot.