Sweet and Savory Brussels Sprouts
This beautifully simple, light vegetable stew won’t leave you feeling tired and lethargic. Made from vegetables that grow close to the ground, this dish helps you feel calm and centered, strong and sure.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 6-8 pearl onions or shallots, peeled, left whole
- 10-12 small Brussels sprouts, trimmed, left whole
- 6-8 unsweetened dried cherries, soaked for 15 minutes in warm water
- ½ cup fresh/frozen organic corn kernels
- organic soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kuzu or arrowroot, dissolved in small bit of cold water
Step By Step Instructions:
In a deep sauce pan, layer onions and then sprouts. Drain cherries, reserving liquid, and add to the pot. Top with corn kernels. Add cherry soaking water to just cover the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle with soy sauce, cover and bring to a gentle boil over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the sprouts are tender, about 25 minutes. Season lightly with soy sauce and simmer covered, for 5 minutes more. Stir in dissolved kuzu/arrowroot until a thin glaze forms over the veggies. Serve warm.
Cook’s Tip: You may use any dried fruit in this dish if you can’t get cherries.