A calming, sweetly satisfying starter course, this creamy, rich bisque is laced through with sweet corn. It’s the perfect soup to transition from the intense heat of summer to the brisk, chilly days of autumn. Warming winter squash will relax your middle organs, while the sunny yellow corn keeps the memories of summer alive.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 1/2 small leek, diced and rinsed well
- 1 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups spring or filtered water
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 teaecspoons sweet white miso
- 1 cup fresh/frozen organic corn kernels
- 3-4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped, for garnish
Step By Step Instructions:
Layer leek and then squash in a soup pot. Add water, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add “milk,” cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until squash is quite soft, about 35 minutes.
Puree soup, in batches, in a food mill or in a food processor. Return soup to the pot over low heat and bring to a simmer. Remove a small amount of liquid use to dissolve miso. Stir miso mixture and corn gently into pot and simmer 3 to 4 minutes to activate enzymes in miso. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.