A new twist on cole slaw–gone is the heavy creamy dressing. Here is a delicious version of an old-fashioned favorite. The mild character of green cabbage relaxes the middle of the body, aiding digestion and helping us manage stress. The deeply rooted energy of carrot will draw the energy of the dish deep into the body, giving us strength, the cucumber cools and refreshes–and the spicy dressing moves our body’s energy and gives us sparkle.
Makes 4-5 servings
- 2-3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, fine matchstick pieces
- several snow peas, cleaned, left whole
- 1 cucumber, peeled, very thinly sliced
- ½ small head radicchio, shredded
Lemon Spice Dressing:
- 2-3 tablspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½-1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon Suzanne’s Specialties brown rice syrup
- 2-3 fresh scallions, finely minced
- small handful sliced almonds, lightly toasted
Step By Step Instructions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the cabbage until crispy tender, about 1 minute. Drain well. Blanche carrot, keeping it still crispy, about 30 seconds. Finally, cook snow peas until bright green, about 1 minute. Combine cabbage, carrots and snow peas with cucumber, radicchio and scallions.
Whisk together dressing ingredients until well-combined and adjust seasonings for taste.
Mix dressing into vegetables and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop. Just before serving stir in toasted, slivered almonds. Serve warm or chilled.