Served with a side of whole grain or a salad (or both) and you have a seriously satisfying supper.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 3 cups spring or filtered water
- 3-inch piece kombu
- 2 shallots, diced (or one half red onion)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced daikon
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon barley miso
- 2 stalks broccoli, small florets
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1-2 fresh scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Step By Step Instructions:
Place water and vegetables (except broccoli and scallions) in a medium soup pot over medium heat.
Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add tofu and cook until daikon is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove a small amount of broth and puree miso. Stir miso back into broth with broccoli.
Simmer 5-6 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp tender. Take care not to boil the miso as this will destroy the enzymes.
To serve, spoon vegetables, tofu and broth into individual bowls and sprinkle with scallions. Serve hot.