Sesame Hiziki Salad
Hiziki is so nutrient-packed, I call I rocket fuel in a cup. Loaded with calcium, vitamin C, iron, folic acid, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals, hiziki helps create strong bones, lustrous hair, healthy blood, and smooth organ function. In this salad, hiziki’s strong flavor is complemented by the rich sesame dressing.
Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ½ cup dried hiziki, rinsed 2-3 times, soaked until tender
- Organic soy sauce
- ½ small leek, rinsed well, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, fine matchstick pieces
- 1 cup fine winter squash matchstick pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh/frozen organic corn kernels
Creamy Sesame Dressing
- 1/4 cup sesame tahini
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup tan sesame seeds, lightly toasted, for garnish
Step By Step Instructions:
Heat oil in a small skillet and stir in hiziki. Season lightly with soy sauce and mirin. Spread evenly over skillet and add water to half cover. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Add leek, carrot, squash and corn, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes more. Remove cover, raise heat to high and cook away any remaining liquid.
Prepare the dressing by simply whisking the ingredients together until smooth. Mix dressing into hiziki and vegetables until well-combined. Stir in sesame seeds and transfer to a serving plate. Serve warm.