Radicchio, Grapefruit and Arugula Salad
It doesn’t get fresher than this. On hot summer days, when we feel limp and wilted, this salad comes to our rescue with a moisture-rich, sweetly refreshing energy, a bit of bitter taste to relax our hot, cranky livers and remove the furrows between our brows.
Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 teaspoon shelled hempseeds
- sea salt
- 4-5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ruby grapefruits, peeled, pith removed, thinly sliced
- 1 large head radicchio, hand shredded
- 1 medium bunch arugula, stems trimmed, hand shredded
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted
Step By Step Instructions:
Heat a dry skillet over low heat. Stir in hempseeds and a generous pinch of salt and lightly pan toast for 2-3 minutes, taking care not to burn the seeds. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and whisk in vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt to taste and whisk to combine. Prepare the grapefruit and place in a bowl.
Pour dressing over the grapefruit and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
To serve the salad, combine radicchio, arugula and olives in a bowl. Stir in grapefruit and dressing, tossing gently to coat the salad with dressing. Serve at room temperature or chilled.