Crispy Zucchini Chips
A spectacular party dish, but not too shabby as a starter for a special dinner for two, either. Lightly battered, so they fry up delightfully crispy and nicely balanced with lemon slices so that we can digest the oil with no problems.
Makes 6-8 servings
- Avocado, rice bran or sunflower oil
- 1 cup sprouted whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup organic yellow corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sea salt
- 4-5 firm zucchini, sliced into paper thin oblongs
- 2 fresh lemons, sliced into paper thin rounds
- 4-5 sprigs fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed at the tips, sprigs left whole
Step By Step Instructions:
Put about 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat the oven to warm.
Mix flour, corn meal, baking powder and a generous pinch of salt in a bowl. Add about a third of the zucchini slices to the flour mixture and toss gently with your hands to coat. When the oil is hot, fry floured zucchini until crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and arrange on lined baking sheet and place in a warm oven. Repeat with the balance of zucchini slices.
Dredge the lemon slices in flour mixture and fry until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain and combine with zucchini in the oven, keeping oil over heat.
Just before serving, toss fried zucchini and lemon with parsley and watercress and transfer to a serving platter.