M-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m…cream of mushroom soup is like comfort in a bowl. But ay, ay, ay, the fat and calories, right? My plant-based version is creamy and rich but lands a lot lighter on your hips!
Makes 5-6 servings
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- Sea salt
- 1/2 pound fresh button or cremini mushrooms, diced
- ½ pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms, soaked until tender, diced
- 5 tablespoons sprouted whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 cups spring or filtered water
- 3 cups unsweetened organic almond or soy milk
- 4 tablespoons mirin or white wine
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso
- 4 button mushrooms, caps only
- 2-3 sprigs fresh parsley, finely minced, for garnish
Step By Step Instructions:
Place 4 tablespoons oil, garlic and onion in a soup pot over medium heat. When the onions begin to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, a pinch of salt and sauté for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will release their juices and reabsorb them. Stir in flour and cook, stirring to create a thick paste, like a roux. Whisk in stock, milk and wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the soup returns to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid lumping. Remove a small amount of hot broth and puree miso until smooth. Stir into soup and simmer 3-4 minutes more.
While the miso simmers in the soup, slice the remaining mushrooms and heat the remaining oil in a skillet and sauté the mushrooms until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Serve the soup garnished with sautéed mushrooms and minced parsley.
Cook’s Tip: If you prefer to prepare this recipe without wine, simply eliminate it.