Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
It was snowing…in March when this cake was conceived. Winter-weary and needing something rich, I tried my hand at a rich, moist, egg-free cake and got it…on the first try. Hope you love it.
Makes 10-12 servings
- 1 ½ cups almond meal flour
- 1 tablespoon sprouted whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- ½ cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer mixed into 6 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Step By Step Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a 9-inch cake pan. Measure a piece of parchment paper and lay it in the bottom of the pan and lightly oil it as well.
Whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour boiling water over cocoa powder in a small bowl and whisk until creamy. Mix in vanilla.
Mix chocolate, egg replacer and olive oil into the dry ingredients to form a ‘creamy’ batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. The center of the cake will rise and then sink, creating a flat, moist and dense cake. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow to cook for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing into wedges to serve.