Cabbage Spring Rolls
A wonderful finger food, perfect for a buffet or for a casual snacks and drinks get-together. I love that these are richly flavored, nutrient-dense and small enough to satisfy with less so they land lighter on the hips…
Makes 12-14 eggrolls
- Avocado oil
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- organic soy sauce
- 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, fine matchstick pieces
- 4 cups finely shredded green head cabbage
- 1 cups fresh/frozen organic corn kernels
- 12-14 eggless egg roll wrappers
- ½ cup unsweetened orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons umeboshi or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger juice
- ½ teaspoon organic soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- generous pinch chili powder
Step By Step Instructions:
Place a small amount of oil, garlic and onion in a deep skillet and turn heat to medium. When the onions begin to sizzle, add a dash of soy sauce and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in celery and carrot and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in cabbage, cover and steam for 1 minute, until it begins to wilt. Remove cover and add a light seasoning of soy sauce. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until cabbage is quite limp. Stir in corn and a light seasoning of mirin and sauté until any liquid has been absorbed.
Lay egg roll wrapper on a dry work surface with one corner facing you. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons filling across the wrapper, close to you, but leaving the corner exposed so you can fold it over. Fold the two side corners and the corner closest to you over the filling. Roll, jellyroll style, forming a cylinder. Moisten the remaining corner and seal the roll. Lay, seam side down on a dry surface. Repeat process with remaining filling and dough.
Make the dipping sauce by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan and cooking over low heat, whisking, for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and cook one minute more. Set aside to cool.
Brush a large skillet generously with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook the spring rolls until golden and crispy, turning as needed to insure even browning.
To serve, slice spring rolls in half crosswise, on the diagonal. Arrange on a platter with dipping sauce on the side. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Tip: To save calories, you can steam these eggrolls and serve with the dipping sauce as described in the recipe.