Sweet and tart fruit covered by a tender, cakelike topping is one of the most wonderful, homey desserts. Easy to make, delicious, and beautiful, you get it all with this one. Baking the fruit gentles its simple sugars, and the topping gives you the satisfaction of flour without eating too much of it. The tart flavor of the cranberries balances the sweet apples perfectly.
Makes about 8 servings
- 3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons Suzanne’s Specialties brown rice syrup
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry or sprouted wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Suzanne’s Specialties brown rice syrup
- About ½ cup unsweetened almond, soy or other non-dairy milk
- ½ cup coarsely minced pecans
Step By Step Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil a 9-inch –square baking dish.
Make the filling: Mix apples and cranberries with oil until coated. Stir in arrowroot and rice syrup and spread evenly in prepared pan.
Make the topping: Combine oats, flour, salt, baking powder, and spices in a medium bowl. Mix in oil and rice syrup to make a soft dough. Slowly mix in “milk” to make a thick, spoonable batter. Fold in pecans. Spoon topping, by dollops, over surface of fruit, covering almost completely, but allowing some fruit to peek through.
Bake about 30-35 minutes, or until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden and firm. Serve warm.